The brothers and sisters of Saint Benedict Center are happy to live in the bucolic old New England town of Richmond, New Hampshire. It offers an atmosphere of peace and quiet, where the beauties of God's creation serve to remind us of the supreme Beauty that is the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
Saint Benedict Center's monastery, convent, chapel, and affiliated school are good for Richmond. We love our neighbors and we love our town, which we want to remain rural, green, and friendly ... and to become holy!
Richmond was granted in 1735 as Sylvester-Canada, named for an Indian fighter, Capt. Joseph Sylvester of Scituate, Mass., who was killed in 1690 during an attempt to capture Quebec.
At first it was part of Massachusetts. The boundary was changed by the king of England, placing the area in New Hampshire, and the area was regranted in 1752. It was also renamed Richmond in honor of Charles Lennox, Duke of Richmond, a friend of then-Gov. Benning Wentworth.
Hosea Ballou lived in Richmond; he was a leading 19th-century champion of religious liberalism and is considered the father of Universalism in the United States. Eliza Ballou Garfield, mother of the 20th president of the United States, James A. Garfield, was born here.
At the center of town, called Richmond Four Corners, is a brick Greek revival-style church built in 1837. Nearby is Veterans Hall, the town meeting hall.
The town has retained its quiet rural character while growing in popularity as a residential community. Since 1921, it has been home of the Cheshire County YMCA's Camp Takodah.